Iron ore mines ”Ljubija” Prijedor deal with the research and development component, independently and in cooperation with the appropriate institutes and faculties from the country and beyond.
Research and development activities are focused on:
a) research in the ”Ljubija metallogenetic area”:
– iron ores (oxidic and carbonaceous);
– natural mineral oxides (pigments);
– barite ore with iron ores;
– clay for the needs of the ceramic and fire protection industry;
– other mineral raw materials: metals, non-metals and construction materials
– permanent improvements of technical and technological solutions in the production of concentrates of mineral raw materials;
– determination and application of new technologies depending on the conditions of concentration and exploitation of mineral raw materials and
– several stages of technical and technological preparation of mineral raw materials for further processing
c) development programs:
In the course of work so far, the Iron ore mines ”Ljubija” Prijedor have developed the following productions with their own knowledge:
– natural iron oxides – pigments now ”FEROX” a.d. Prijedor
– blast metal processing – now ”TOMEX” a.d. Prijedor
– machine parts and assemblies for machines and plants – now ”FADIS” a.d. Prijedor
– retreading of tires for heavy-duty and cargo vehicles – now ”PROTECT”
– measuring instruments (thermometers, manometers in liquidated savings, ammeters) and others.
Having reached a certain level of development in production, in 1994 the conditions for the formation and development of the Mining and Geological Institute in Prijedor were provided. The task of this institution is applied scientific research in the field of mining. A joint venture was established with ArcelorMittal in 2004 at a parity of 51:49 in favor of ArcelorMittal, and iron ore production was started according to the project. The reached production capacity is up to 2.0 million. t/yr. iron ore concentrate.
The establishment of production at the Omarska mine enables:
– continuation of the continuous research of the Ljubija metallogenetic area,
– continuation of research into the possibility of exploitation of other mineral raw materials in the process of exploitation of iron ores and
– development of industrial capacities based on established mineral raw materials: ceramic iciglas clays, quartz sands, caustobiolot, etc.